Ever find yourself creatively stuck? It's like quicksand. The deeper you go, the harder it is to escape. Over the years, I've come up with strategies to help save my ass. Maybe they'll help you too. Here are 20 ways to get unstuck:
- Take a walk around the block.
- Head towards water (lake, ocean, bottle or shower).
- Pretend you're done, then remember what you did.
- Remember, “the first draft of anything is shit.” - Hemingway
- Exercise. Do I have to explain this?
- Get bored the old fashioned way. No phone, internet or television.
- Free write for ten minutes. Keep the pen moving.
- Break down those baby steps, baby. Another no brainer.
- Ask yourself, "What will happen if I don't do this?"
- Get creative. Switch out your eyeballs.
- Avoid social media like the plague.
- Change your physiology: look up, sit up, stand up, smile :)
- Bang your head against the wall, again and again and again.
- Break into musical improv.
- Take a fish oil pill. Imagine it’s a powerful cognitive enhancement.
- Call Derek Erdman and see what he thinks: 206 324 6276.
- Remind yourself of the rules, then smash them with a sledge hammer.
- Put off procrastination, until later.
- Eat some nuts.
- Write a list of 20 ways to get unstuck.